Landlord is Sued by Tenant in Slip and Fall Case

Posted on : June 6, 2017
slip and fall landlord lawsuits in Texas

On December 9, 2016, a tenant filed suit against his former landlord after slipping and falling outside his apartment complex and sustaining injuries.

The Case

Donald Jones, a resident of St. Clair County, IL, filed a slip and fall lawsuit against former landlord Bouse Properties. On December 14, 2014, nearly two years before the claim was brought forth, Jones slipped and fell on an unknown substance on the sidewalk outside of his apartment complex. Although it is unclear what the substance was, the time of year suggests ice.

The plaintiff alleges that the landlord knowingly allowed a dangerous condition to exist on the premises. Additionally, Jones alleges that the landlord failed to provide reasonable and adequate warnings that the condition existed. The lawsuit claims that Jones suffered severe and debilitating injuries. Jones is pursuing an amount of damages greater than $50,000 for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The lawsuit is filed with the St. Clair County Circuit Court.

Can Property Owners Be Sued for Naturally Occurring Conditions?

If the substance the plaintiff slipped on was ice, many people wonder if property owners can be sued for naturally occurring conditions. In fact, under the law, it is a property owner’s responsibility to maintain safe and hazard free conditions. Therefore, if ice exists on the premises, a property owner must warn patrons or tenants with a visible sign. The property owner also must remove the ice in a reasonable time frame. If a property owner knowingly allows ice to accumulate outside the premises, he or she could be considered negligent and may be held legally responsible for any injuries that occur.

What to Do If You’re Injured in a Slip and Fall

Property owners often allow dangerous conditions to exist without putting up a warning or working to remove the hazard. If you or a loved one were hurt in a slip and fall, seek legal help to protect your right to compensation for any damages you suffered as a result of the fall. Contact Gregory H. Bevel today for more information about slip and fall cases and what your legal options are by calling (214)-580-2555.

Posted in : Gregory H. Bevel

Comments are closed.