When Should You Go to the Doctor After a Slip and Fall?

Posted on : May 28, 2019

When should you go to the doctor after a slip and fall accident? Does Texas law limit the time you have to seek medical care or file a personal injury lawsuit? Here’s what you need to know.

What Texas Law Says About Slip And Falls

Actually, Texas state law has nothing specific to say about how long you have to go to the doctor after a slip and fall accident. Like most states, Texas has a statute of limitations on filing personal injury lawsuits, which is two years from the date of injury or the date you learned of your injury.

That said, it’s in your absolute best interest to go to the doctor as soon as possible following a slip and fall accident. Not only is this critical to ensure you do not have serious injuries, but it’s also important to show that you did not delay seeking medical treatment should you file a lawsuit with a Texas Personal Injury Lawyer later on.

Where Should You Go?

Where you go to seek medical treatment depends largely on the type of injuries you have and when you sustain the injuries.

Emergency Room

You should go to the emergency room if you are in extreme pain after your slip and fall, if you hit your head, or for any other injury that you would ordinarily seek emergency care for. You should also go to the emergency room if you’re injured in a slip and fall if the accident occurs after clinic hours.

Urgent Care Clinic

If you are only moderately injured and do not need critical care, you should go to your local urgent care or walk-in clinic. Typically these clinics have extended hours, but won’t be open in the middle of the night.

Your Family Doctor

If you don’t seem to be injured at all, you can go to your family doctor within a day or so of the incident. For example, if your accident occurred in the middle of the night but you don’t appear to be hurt, you may wait to see your family doctor until the next day, or the day after.

You should avoid waiting longer than 48-72 hours after a slip and fall accident to go to any type of doctor.

Contact Gregory Bevel & Wesley Gould Today

If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you could be entitled to compensation from the owner of the property. Call today for a consultation at (214)-580-2555.

Posted in : Gregory H. Bevel

Comments are closed.