Dallas Lawyers For Stevens Johnson Syndrome
Stevens Johnson Syndrome is a rare but serious and sometimes fatal allergic reaction to medications, usually NSAID pain relievers like Motrin and Tylenol or other medications containing sulfa.
There are a variety of symptoms associated with Stevens Johnson Syndrome, including:
- Headache, fever, chills and general flu-like symptoms
- Reddish-purple skin rash that may spread
- Sore throat
- Sloughing of the skin
- Sores in the eyes, mouth, genitals and nose (mucous membranes)
Treatment is required immediately for Stevens Johnson Syndrome and may include being treated at a hospital that has a specialized burn unit.
Other treatments include:
- IV fluids to prevent dehydration as the skin sloughs off and the patient loses moisture and salts from the body
- Infection prevention, as the wounds are more susceptible to infection
- Cool, wet compresses
If treatment is not started as soon as possible, patients can suffer severe complications, including:
- toxic epidermal necrolysis
- significant scarring
- organ failure
Medications that have been linked to Stevens Johnson Syndrome are sulfa based antibiotics, barbiturates, NSAID pain relievers and seizure medications, including:
- Children’s Tylenol
- Children’s Motrin
If you or your child has been diagnosed with Stevens Johnson syndrome, you need the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney with specific knowledge of this disease and its causes.
We have extensive experience in Stevens Johnson Syndrome litigation and can help you get any compensation that you and your family may be entitled to for the injuries and financial hardships you have had to endure.
Call today to schedule an appointment for a consultation. (214) 580-2555.